BHS Wellbeing Week – Day 2 – A Quick Way To Get 2 Of Your 5 a Day
As part of the STAYING SAFE, ACTIVE AND HEALTHY DAY food technology offered the opportunity to make a fruity, nutritious slush. Some of our student media team went to get a hands on experience of the slush making so they could find out what it was really like. They found out it was an excellent activity with lots of involvement, meaning every student had the chance to have a go at making their own individual slush. One student from year 8 claimed the slush making was ‘an enjoyable activity’ because it is healthy yet pleasant and as a bonus you get to miss lessons for a great, laid back wellbeing week. She also says ‘the teachers are very helpful’ because they instruct you on what you need to do and help you when you are struggling. Mr McGuinness (one of the food technology teachers) says the reason he has chosen this activity to raise awareness to pupils that there are lots of drinks that include lots of sugar and calories but can easily be substituted for a sweet slush with healthy sugars and calories.
You can even make one of these slushes yourself at home…
Ingredients for Mixed Berry Slush
Ingredients for 2 people
- 200g of strawberries
- 80g of frozen fruit
- 250g of ice
- 50ml water
- 1 or 2 mint leaves
- Weighing scales
- Large mixing bowl
- Small mixing ball
- Chopping board
- Vegetable knife
- Food processor
- Weigh out strawberries (remove stems) and frozen fruits into small bowl.
- Add 1 or 2 leaves of mint. Measure out 50ml of water in measuring jug
- Weigh out ice into large bowl. Crush ice in the food processor until ice is fine(30 sec)
- Blitz strawberries, frozen fruit, mint and water in the blender
- Add the ice to the blender, blitz until mixed. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Divide between two cups and serve
For more information click here